Looking for a hearty, nutty, and nutrient dense granola that is low on added sugar? Give this Chunky French Vanilla Almond Granola a try!
This chunky granola is perfect to top off some greek yogurt and berries in the morning! Granola gets a bad rep because store bought cereals are normally SUPER high in added/refined sugars. But THIS granola is naturally sweetened with some raw local honey.
For this recipe, I used gluten-free rolled oats, sliced almonds, flax seeds and cinnamon. I used a combination of honey and egg whites as a “glue” in order to get that chunky texture. This batch was baked for about 30 mins at 375F.
This recipe isn’t particularly “low-carb”, but not every recipe has to be. I’m so over everything having to be low carb, low fat, low-whatever. Life is about balance, and I don’t restrict myself of anything. However, I am mindful of what I eat, when I eat certain foods, and how much. With that being said, I love to eat this with yogurt before or after a workout. If I’m eating this as a ‘post-workout meal’ then I’ll add a scoop of protein powder to my yogurt and call it a day.
You could definitely use this granola in the Vanilla Chai Breakfast Bowl!
Ingredient Health Benefits:
Like I said before, this recipe isn’t “low-carb”… however the ingredients are nutrient dense.
- Oats are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and fiber! Eating fiber rich foods is important because it helps you feel fuller longer. They take up a large amount of space in your stomach and are slow digesting.
- Almonds are low in saturated fatty acids and high in unsaturated fatty acids. Cholesterol reduction is the most celebrated health benefit of almonds. Almonds also hold key nutrients including arginine, magnesium, copper, manganese, calcium and potassium, all of which are beneficial for heart health. ❤️ Almond are also a great source of Vitamin E and other antioxidants, which are needed to nourish your skin.
- Flax Seeds are one of the richest sources of (plant-based) omega fatty acids. 1 ounce (3tbsp) of flax seeds contains 8 grams of fiber, which can help support colon detoxification and fat loss.
- Cinnamon is super high in phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and antioxidants. These compounds have anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, and antimicrobial properties. As little as 1/2 tsp a day can have positive effects on blood sugar levels, digestion, and immunity!
- Raw Local Honey is an unfiltered and unpasteurized sweetener made by bees and is known for warding off infections and for providing a natural relief to seasonal allergies. This raw honey contains all of the local pollen.
Chunky French Vanilla Almond Granola
- 1 cup dry rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup whole flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp french vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp raw local honey
- 1/3 cup egg whites
Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients until evenly combined.
Pour the raw granola on the baking sheet making sure that everything is evenly distributed on the baking sheet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375F. Turn and mix the granola about half way through baking.
Feel free to comment and let me know if you try this out 🙂